Thursday, May 8, 2014

Es-Say #13 "One Of These Records Is Not Spelled Like The Other..."

I'll be honest, I haven't done enough research for todays Es-Say, yet I did almost forget that the 45 I got last week of "No More Lonely Nights" for about $.50(£.30) could be more than just a duplicate release of the one on the right. Immediately, the most obvious difference(maybe hard to see in my photo), is that the left copy has a non-glossy finish. The glossy UK cover I bought for under $5 and I had recalled at the time that there was a mis-print.
That's right, nobody could spell "Lonely" properly when they set up the typeface for the label(it's wrong on both A&B Sides). From what I do know now about R 6080, my original glossy wrongly spelled copy is that it only had the mishap half-way through the original pressing. So, drum roll...the correct and original 45 vinyl of "No More Lonely Nights" looks like....
It has a nice tin/aluminium look to the label with the letters carved on to it. I may be observing these details of the label completely wrong, but at least it has "Lonely" spelled right and a ring of manufacturing lettering around the label. Isn't it a beauty?!? So, why has it come in a paper sleeve and not a glossy one? Should it be the other way around? I must return back sifting through record boxes. On a side note, there are 7 different UK versions of this song released on vinyl total either in 45 or 12-inch. The 45 got released again as a different version, not only to correct the spelling error, but to release a dance mix on the b-side. All you could ever want to know about these pressing are compiled at The Beatles Recordings website www.jpgr.co.uk/r6080.html

It seems that as much as I didn't really want to collect all known versions of "No More Lonely Nights" I think I got an urge to do this. It now has to run simultaneously with my hunt for every known pressing of "Good Night Tonight." This cannot end well...

Speaking of "Good Night Tonight," less than a month after finding the Holland 45 copy, I found the Sweden copy
The front cover picture sleeve is the same on the back. Unfortunately, I can't add this to the video with the rest of my copies on the you tube page www.youtube.com/magicmeri but maybe it will show up in the future. This whole idea to not look for other versions is a bit too late now. I FEEL LIKE....I FEEL LIKE...
with this French copy of this awesome song from Wings' "Venus and Mars" album. What a great picture sleeve it is(I wonder what the other versions look like). I couldn't let this one go but it's best to focus on what I'm currently collecting. It is really easy to get distracted with all of these great jems, but first get the main collections completed. That seems sensible to me.

Please note: The blog has a Facebook page for various McCartney updates and when this blog has new entries along with "exclusive content." A Twitter page is being considered for the same exact purpose. If you would like either. Please comment here if you would like to join either. Thanks! 





No comments:

Post a Comment