Friday, November 8, 2019

ES-SAY #129

New Vinyl- Why Does It Cost So Much?

This Standard Version LP Copy Of "Egypt Station" came out later than expected(Photo Credit:Amazon.com)  



Vinyl. It's something I collect. However, I've had enough of seeing new vinyl for sale.  However, I caved in and purchased Red Rose Speedway(two LP version) to play on my new suitcase record player. It's half price at HMV for £19.99. (I also was shocked to find out that Wings Over America cost £53.99 in the same rack. Keep your album. I'll survive.)

Lately, I don't understand how the recording industry works when they are putting so much time into promoting new vinyl and trying to avoid releasing CDs. The physical copies released are favouring vinyl over CDs and making streaming services the places to listen to music-on-the-go. Modern times that favour vinyl, simply because it's been advertised in rainbow colors is not how I picture(uh, I meant "Picture Disc-ed) the future of buying music.

Upon purchasing the two disc version of Red Rose Speedway, it turned out to have a disadvantage. It was missing nine bonus tracks. Songs like Cmoon and Live and Let Die are nowhere to be heard. Here is the track list(left) compared with my 2-CD version that I bought last year(right)-



  I think I got "snookered." I also took the time to get to my partners computer after receiving this message(below) when I tried to get the MP3 tracks on my phone-



It didn't take very long to get the .ZIP file but then I got both confused and concerned that my head might be on a platter if I didn't bury the 18 individual files in an unobvious place(again, not my computer). This version of the album can't be streamed online but since it's a mishmash anyway, I'm not interested finding it even if it was on Spotify.


The vinyl also wasn't a gatefold and these are the records and booklet(without lyrics, CD version has lyrics).



 19.99 for this version was not what I expected but I'm glad I didn't pay full price. LPs, in my opinion, 180 grams or not, should cost as much as the CD versions. £10 a platter, sounds reasonable as I don't even think it's going to be collectable to a point that justifies the £20+ price tag here-


 It's no mystery but I predict that places like HMV where I bought Red Rose Speedway are not moving inventory very well and prices may come down even lower. I have yet to see people in the shops, like even the local supermarket specifically buying new vinyl. The sales are pretty much coming from places like Amazon.com. Paul McCartney's vinyl releases for Egypt Station was a confusing mess as only one version costing around £40 was available at HMV on release day though several versions were announced. (I cancelled the green vinyl version as it was taking to long after the albums September release to come out).



"New Vinyl Vs Old Vinyl" is no contest for me. I'm all about collecting old vinyl and paying less. As much as I was disappointed in the Red Rose Speedway double LP, as a new LP release, I will take better care in the future.



BTW, Record Store Day is coming up on the 29th of November. Paul is coming out with an LP release of two songs exclusive to RSD. I don't think I have a chance in hell of finding it in a record store, so I will see what it's being sold for on Ebay, later in that day. The Streaming copies will be available a week earlier, so I'll commit to buying those copies instead. You can't go wrong with Egypt Station outtakes(I assume that's what they are...) for £1.98 as compared to the sludge of queuing up outside a Record Store and paying 23.99?!. Record Store Day is fine for some but I've learned my lesson. If you want the Vinyl, don't bother trying to get a Beatles/Paul title at RSD. Do what I did, buy a RSD release years later in a foreign country and then flip out when finding out  TheBeatles.com is selling it online.  



Oh, the joy of new vinyl, it's so shiny!



Not Saying Anything To Paul McCartney is on Facebook! Join Our Two Active Groups- For all the latest news visit Paul McCartney Fan News London and for blog updates, photos, and fun, visit Not Saying Anything To Paul McCartney "Fun Club" Group. Each group has a Facebook Page as well. Thanks For Visiting The Blog!!!


 







No comments:

Post a Comment