Monday, April 7, 2014

Es-Say #9 #9 #9 By George...It's The Hidden Threetles!

Let's get one thing straight- I have no problem being an uninformed fan. That's the beauty of not knowing everything about about The Beatles and Paul, I learn as I go. I'm not planning on going into the Guinness Book Of World Records for being an expert on all things Beatles. This is why I didn't know that the George Harrison record, "All Those Years Ago" I bought last week(see above) was more than just a solo hit record. Heck, I thought it was from the 70s. I played the vinyl and still had no idea that this recording was done with a little help from Paul, Linda, Denny(or !"£$%^ Wings!!!!), Ringo, and the fifth Beatle, producer George Martin. This is what the internet has led me to believe. I quote my source as Wikipedia and a couple other pages who may have also sourced this information from Wikipedia. Overall, it is considered a "Threetles"(George, Paul, and Ringo) song but this record, in my uninformed fan opinion, is most certainly not.

The finished product of the song is supposed to have Paul and Linda McCartney and Denny Laine singing backing vocals. I'm not a musician, but I am a DJ and I enjoy listening to songs, especially vocals. The contribution of Wings (really!) of oohing and ahhing along with Harrison is nowhere listed on the '45. Maybe because anyone could have been responsible for it, including the person on the street. The strongest bits of this song are Al Kooper on Electric Piano and all of George's lead vocals and guitars. Even if the full musicians are noted in the LP, it wouldn't matter. It is a Threetles recording but the final product wasn't marketed or presented to sound that way. Paul is very good at being anonymous on a song when he wants to. Here's a great example of the opposite from Rockshow- http://youtu.be/SgrG8XURuP4

On "All Those Years Ago," the song became exactly what George wanted it to be- His own tribute to John Lennon. The intention for it to be a "Threetles" or friends of John's song tribute didn't happen. Had it been that way, maybe "Here Today"(a song written for John) by Paul McCartney for the Tug Of War LP wouldn't have been released.  It's clear that Paul wanted to have some recording available as his own associated tribute for Lennon.  "All Those Years Ago" was not that song but it is a lovely song http://youtu.be/85Smw33PKJA

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment