Monday, April 14, 2014

Es-Say #10 Mod-ern Merchandise Mentions

Companies are still producing new Beatles merchandise. I thought I had little interest in any of this, partly from a collecting view. Is a 2014 released Beatles T-shirt rare? What about the 1995 Beatles T-Shirt I wear at least once every two weeks? Not really. Original Wings T-shirts can be sold for ridiculous amounts, so I'm hesitant to pay $40 for a new one. Will I pay $13 each for those t-shirts in the above photo? (Yup, I did!)

There seems to be a slight problem with these t-shirts from Primark. They aren't damaged yet my partner swears George's face in the "jumping" shirt doesn't look correctly printed. Granted these shirts may not last after a trip to the washing machine either. My "slight problem" is that each shirt is printed on Primark's own brand(Atmosphere) shirts. The white one is apparently officially licensed to another company(and then printed on a Primark T-shirt). Watch my video about this. I still can't explain it. http://youtu.be/NQq8v-1tFcg

All I can tell you, even though I got some vegan chocolate on the "JFK Airport" one. These sort of WTF?-styled questionable things are great, collectable or not, yet somehow better than 100% expensive run-of-the-mill official stuff.

The next item purchased from HMV is 100% official merchandise. Yet, this is one of those items I consider, uh "hot right now" and..um.."possibly worth something in two decades." Why? Well, lets examine little ole £6.99 coffee mug. I bought it last week and it has been available for almost 6 months. I really should get another one but it's always a gamble what gains value.

The mug is to promote the "Live at the BBC V2" CD from November. Let's try to ignore the 20 year gap between the two volumes of this fantastic series as I make the following point. This ticks all the boxes.
  • Only available from HMV     
  • Should be Limited Edition
  • Not a reproduction item but a new goods item
  • I really need to buy another one because I will freak if it breaks in the kitchen.
Best thing to do is keep tabs on this item and other promotional items from Live at The BBC series. I don't even want to think about the promo stuff from Beatles Anthology. I have been shown the light- There are some current items that need to be snapped up immediately. It's just one big guessing game that usually gets resolved every two decades...


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment