Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Es-Say #5- A Day In The Storage Container(s)

Today, I decided to take some of my collection into my self-storage unit. My living room is small and I actually worry about magazines getting damaged. My partner owns every issue of Q magazine, but remained calm when many of the copies got soaked with rain water. I took comfort in the knowledge that the 1st issue from 1986 with Paul was unharmed. If any of my own magazines have similar problems, I need a moment to recover and then an action plan. I like to think I keep on top of my entire collections maintenance.

The truth is different. It's all over the place. In addition to my local self-storage and at home, my sister is storing my long-forgotten Beatles/McCartney items in her hallway closet. I have no record of everything I currently own, nor the current condition. I just usually know what items are missing and which of the three places probably has the item. I have been careless with many things and moving things around is not a great idea. I hope I can remember what I brought to the self-storage unit this morning.

I chose to bring some duplicate magazines and Sunday newspaper pull-out magazines. I took a duplicate copy of a recent book(I think the subtitle is called "Paul McCartney in the 70s") just so I wouldn't have an extra reminder about that I need to read it. At the storage unit, I got a bit of a blast- from-the-past. I can only imagine why I had to make the poor decision to TEAR OFF THE FRONT COVER. I was thankful to be sitting down while discovering this 1995 article of Vegetarian Times.

  

I'm sure I've had this at least 17 years, so it's good to at least see it again. I also have decided to look for another copy that can be better cared for in plastic to make up for this catastrophe. I remember I paid about a dollar for the used magazine from the library. I don't think it will be that low cost anymore. Just thinking about my magazine being damaged made me want to leave the building. I decided to go to the supermarket; buy another magazine and complain to no one that the Linda McCartney veggie burgers were no longer on sale.(another Es-Say for another time?)

No comments:

Post a Comment