Sunday, October 18, 2015

ES-Say #43 Record Show Saturday Is A "VIP" experience.
"The Paul Is Singing" *Blam Blam* "The screen caps fuzzy" (from Rio 1990) 

This past Saturday, I attended one of the fall record shows held by the company VIP Events. Most of the times I tell people I'm really excited because I'm attending another record show, is usually met with questions of "What?". Well, folks, it's not comic-con, but going to any rented out room filled with multiple collapsible tables and sweaty middled-aged men selling vinyl and CDs to other sweaty middle-aged men, is apparently where I like to go to spend my money. 

As I personally smell like roses, I am usually treated differently(I probably have complained about this before). I spend most of the time going "uh huh" as high valued crap is offered to me. I really don't feel welcome at most of these places, but the aim is to put my head down and manuver around the cardboard boxes, hoping to find a few gems. I lasted about an hour and a half, looking around at the VIP London Victoria Event. 
                         A bit of free advertising (your welcome, VIP)

I will say, I enjoyed talking to a few dealers at this specific event and I was greatful for a few discounts that I received by asking. I paid for the early bird price at 11:15 but it really didn't give me much of an advantage, only because nobody was fighting me over the items I was interested in. I kept asking for a copy of "Let It Be (Naked)" and most dealers assumed I was asking for the vinyl. I was after the CD, but oddly I didn't see very many of the formerly easily available standard Beatles CD releases on EMI\Apple. However, I did find a few interesting items to add to the collection that's pushing me out of house and home.
Ignore the copy of Classic Rock, I bought that at a newsagent the same day.

The first thing I didn't buy, was a £400 Run Devil, Run Mini Jukebox Promo. It was a very cool promo but, for me, the low low price of £400, made me pass it over, as it was the size of a toaster. Then, I went to a bargain dealer to start buying items I could afford and wanted to own.

The List Of New(Old) Macca\Beatles Items ratting me out of house&home

  1. A West German 45" Copy Of "Maybe I'm Amazed"(Live) b\w Soily(Live) from Wings Over America. Plays beautifully, and as it didn't come with a Picture Sleeve, well worth £2 for the import.
  2. A Belgium 45" Copy of Waterfalls with PS! Luckily, I didn't by the UK copy because it turned out I had it at home(must start making lists of what I already own!). The vinyl was so shiny and I was told it came from a great collection, I didn't mind forking over £6.
  3. Rio 1990 DVD(see corny TV screen shot above) which I bargained down because it was oddly priced between £20-£15. Turned out to be a DVD-R originally in NTSC but was region-free. Can't wait to finish watching this and stop pausing the TV to take photos(Ed. Note- this is what we do for this blog and you people, especially our Russian fans. OGROMNOE SPASIBO!!!)
  4. Beatles CD-R An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away. Says 24 unrealised tracks from "Let It Be" & "Abbey Road". I'll take my chances 'cause it was £8.
  5. "Say Say Say" 12" and "The McCartney Interview" (1980). I got these for low prices(totalling £10) at one table which the dealer proceeded to take back the clear plastic sleeves protecting the records. I don't remember the last time somebody did this, so I was stunned, forgot how to complain, stuck them in my bag and left. (I had had enough of the disinterested smelly people). At home, I wanted to hear how "Say, Say, Say" (the original remix and the instrumental) would differ from the new 2015 remixes, but the entire record skiped(I had to find this out on You Tube instead afterward). I don't like the jacket design so I haven't collected it in the past, and the record skipping was a bummer. However, the realitively common "Interview" LP to my amazement was playing fine. Another interview I'd like to listen to as it was recorded prior to Lennon's death.
After the record show, I went to the newsagents to buy "Record Collector" but I bought Classic Rock(November issue) instead. The cover story is about the Hollywood Vampires project that Paul contributed to, and had a photo of him with the group. I'm assuming the cover story will ahead some light as to how the project came about and how the recording is now being promoted. 

Speaking of promoting. Would I go to another VIP Event-Yes. Will I consider bring my own clear jacket protectors and a can of Lysol? I might have to.

With Thanks this week to the readers of the blog in Russia, I don't know how you found my blog but I'm happy you're reading it!
















No comments:

Post a Comment