Saturday, September 12, 2015

ES-Say #38 I am not a tourist but for £6.99, I can be...
 
It's great being me sometimes!(no, not Paul, but he's great, too!)

I dragged myself out of bed this morning to head towards London. After checking a map, it seemed quicker to walk to Marylebone Station after getting off the tube at Baker Street. First, I got distracted by the long line on the road where the London Beatles Store is located. But, by now, I know better that the line is not to go into the Beatles tourist attraction. Apparently, Sherlock Holmes is a big celebrity in this area and his museum opening early on Saturday gets a crowd gathering. This crowd will stretch at least a couple doors down in front of the Beatles shop but these people dare not lose their place in line to check it out.
I jump through these detective-loving people, and head into the Beatles shop for the second time this month with one thing on my mind-a mass produced small Paul button for £1. However, three minutes later, I have walked out spending £4.50. Unlike the last time I visited, the shop now had a recent British Beatles Fan Club Magazine. Read by millions? I don't know, but I have some at home and I like some of the photos and info they contain.
                                     Can you find my new retro button? 

As it was still early when I left the store, after awhile I walked a few blocks over to find Marylebone Station where I smack myself in the forhead- I had used this station in June, completely unaware that this is where in the 60s, tons of young people were filmed chasing The Beatles through the station in the opening sequence in "A Hard Day's Night". Now, since I remembered my bearings it was time to snap some photos.

Aside from most of the buildings structure seeming original, it really didn't seem that large for a station that also has both rail and underground services. The twenty or so times I've seen "A Hard Day's Night" was not good enough for me to act all nerdy to say- "A-ha, that's the exact platform The Beatles ran on to catch the train in the movie!" It had a narrow feel to it but still quite interesting for train station architecture with the ceilings and brick design being highlights.



I didn't visit any of the station shops, I just walked through from one end to the other and didn't think to get a rail ticket(I had only been on the underground of the station before). I guess I must have been hungry because I left to find food.

Returning to Baker Street Station, I found a tourist merchandise shop outside that had a couple shelves of New Beatles goods mostly filled with coffee mugs, shot glasses, a few tote bags, and playing cards. The was a box containing only tote bags and large "Paul McCartney Way" metallic signs. I flip through and found a McCartney mounted picture frame that was held together with cheap clear tape on the black frames corners. I looked around for a salesperson as it was missing a price. A salesperson told me it was the last one and agree with my pointing out it wasn't in the best shape. I planned to spend £10 after it was checked for a price. "It was £25 but I can give it to you for £7.99..£6.99" the salesperson offered, and I quickly piped up "6.99! I'll get it". I'm pretty sure the shop thought I was a tourist with my New York accent so they just were being nice to make a sale. They even asked if I wanted it gift wrapped.

I decided to go home with my bubble wrapped cheesy frame containing two 1968 possibly-colour-copied Paul pictures and this nifty listed discography of all of McCartney Lps-
                   "Nifty" ain't the word, "inaccurate" is more like it!
So, even though "The Albums" list has several clearly wrong information(ie. Hope Of Deliverance is a song, All The Best came out in '87, etc), typos, stops at 2005's Chaos And Creation In The Backyard(Ed. Note: Happy CD 10 year anniversary, BTW!); At the very least they got his birthdate correct. For £6.99, I can't expect brilliance but shame for anyone who paid triple for this picture-that-I-can't-find-a-decent-place-for. How do you think I did storing it for now?
Hold your horses! I need to display Paul on the backs of your cavalry!

All I know is, I got a funny little collecting story that made me look like a newcomer to London, regardless of the laughable yet cute picture.

Become a Twitter follower of Meredith Evonne @GTBJ4250 and Not Saying Anything To Paul McCartney will Tweet stuff that may not be featured here. There's no "phrase that pays" but you might be happy to receive some news! 

Listen to Audio Version 12/9/15 Not Saying Anything To Paul McCartney blog by MaccaMeri #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/maccameri/audio-version-12-9-15-not

No comments:

Post a Comment