Tuesday, November 17, 2015

ES-Say #48 Mid-Price McCartney & Beatles On A Budget
                                Just another example of my cheapness...or thriftiness in collecting

Not Saying Anything To Paul McCartney(the blog) may have failed to mention that due to financial considerations, you probably won't believe all the collectables featured here, got here by frugality. This means "free", "practically free" and "these-sellers-should-know-not-to-sell-that to-me-for-so-cheap-but-I'll-keep-quiet." If there is a discount to be had, the blog admin(well, myself...) is all over it.
At least the 1993 Holland remaster of "Speed" allows Joe English to keep his neck(left).
 
 
 
As it was decided about 20 years ago to try and cultivate a personal, low cost, yet satisfying hoard of related McCartney merchandise, nothing has really changed. Paul McCartney is not a backer of this blog and I hate to disappoint any preconceived idea that he might be.(He's not in my address book but the "M" pages are intentionally left blank.)

Moving on, today we are explaining that on occasion to continue not spending respectable sums of money on merchandise, we got lucky at the public library and discount electronics store! At the library, aside from failing to get a Pete Doggett Beatles book, "Conversations With McCartney" by Paul Du Noyer (from this Fall) was available. This book will now not cost me £25 in a bookshop, but £25 in library fines for failing to return it in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe, I'll take up speed reading but it's highly unlikely...This collection of past interviews has had positive reviews, so I hope to have a reaction for you in like two months time.

I might skim through the "Collecting Vinyl" book as it has some Beatles related information and may someday assist my collecting column for The Macca Report-click here . However, for my own blog/website/whatever that you are reading right now, I gotta explain how I got "Wings At The Speed Of Sound"(1993 remaster) for £5($7.50). I also found a Beatles Tribute CD for 20p ($.35)

After leaving the library, It was pouring with rain, so I ran inside a discount electronics store to dry off and surround myself with other shifty people to browse. Aside from stocking up on some bargain unrelated McCartney films and music(20p here, £1.50 there), I found "Help!" and Paul's "All The Best" CD. When I decided to do a full look at all the various artists CDs, I found the empty case for the Holland 1993 Wings CD and the tribute disc(as mentioned above).

These cases were all empty as you had to then proceed to checkout at the cash registers for a peppy teenager to fill them up with the media in clear plastic cd envelopes. Little did I understand that this process of finding it alphabetically in a pile would take 20 minutes since nothing was actually catalogued alphabetically("yeah, try W for Wings...what? no, I asked for Saw-ah 2 not Ste-wit Lit-tal"). As I started pouring in sweat in my warm jacket indoors, and while speaking through coughing that a horror film wouldn't be found in the family film's section, I had a more urgent inquiry. I needed to know I was getting the correct 1993 disc to match the jewel case so I made the poor(and peppy) teen tell me. Obviously, I was getting impatient and needed to go home and shower.

Back at home, I first started listening to the 1995 Beatles Tribute CD from a uk label called "Hallmark". I got the impression they have produced various artists albums by paying a fee to be allowed to re-record tracks with hired session musicians. The cd takes a soft rock approach to the hits yet vocally tries to sound like John or Paul. Pleasant enough, despite some odd mouth noises on "When I'm Sixty-Four", I'm sure to get a kick out of it.

The 1993 Holland CD for "At The Speed Of Sound" is another gem in my cheapo collection. As the CD is out of print in this edition, unlike the 2014 digapak version, the former contains three bonus tracks (Sally G, Walking In The Park With Eloise, and Bridge On The River Suite). I'm really not aware if the 2014 box set edition contains those three songs, but it's not on my standard 2-CD version. If you want to buy this 1993 version, or any other 1993 "The Paul McCartney Collection" cds , try not to get suckered into to spending loads. You might even want to forget about trying, but I happen to be a big advocate supporting that particular collection of albums, and can't stop....

Tune in next time when you'll read more Brooklyn/Semi-English accented dialog in a complaining tone about having to throw out Linda McCartney frozen dinners, intitled "Wot? my fridge was wide open all day???? gimme a break!"

Bloody heck, maybe you should just stay tuned until I boast about finishing another book...

No comments:

Post a Comment