Sunday, November 1, 2015

ES-Say #45 McCartney in 1986- Cultivating The Phil Collins Look
                 
The mid-1980's seemed to spawn this one look for men that was a bit puzzling-oversized suit pieces with a mullet. Many celebrities opted for this look(ie. Bill Murray), but it seemed to suit Phil Collins to a T, (as you can see above). When Collins was storming the charts as a solo artist in 1985, his stature of being pudgy, short and balding was somehow flattering combined with his ill fitting clothing. Picture Collins, Think Frumpy!


It's unlikely that anyone wants to think of Paul McCartney as "Frumpy", but when he stepped out on stage for the Prince's Trust 10th Anniversary concert, "Frumpy" is the best way to describe what he looked like.

I believe there are three songs that were preformed that night in June of 1986- "I Saw Her Standing There", "Long Tall Sally", and "Get Back". The vinyl copy I have of the single, is missing "Get Back" but I am not complaining.
After watching and listening on YouTube "I Saw Her Standing There", I was not impressed. Yes, Paul had stopped officially touring for several years by this point, but he was a staple at many one-off charity events. Most remembered, unfairly, at Live Aid for his microphone malfunctions during the all-star finale. It was a bad situation during Live Aid, which through his professionalism was able to work around. Prince's Trust, just sounds and seemed like a "bad situation". "I Saw Her Standing There" is not helped by their all-star backing band(including Phil Collins on drums, I assume). Overall, it is a prickly performance with much cheers due to the important charity and proof that musical quality was least important. I'm not going to excuse it with an "that was the 80s" shrug, due to many people whom have mixed feeling about McCartney's 80s career and tend to block it out. (This performance could be one of the reasons.)

Considering I am very tolerant and appreciative of the majority of Paul's 1980s output-albums, appearances, crappy-yet-lovable motion pictures- The Prince's Trust Performance is not something to recommend. I can only imagine that "Get Back" and "Long Tall Sally" were so MOR(middle of the road) that I refuse to ruin the classic image I have of these songs. The middle-aged looking Paul is solidified with this appearance as well as his adopting the "Frumpy Phil" get up. Sadily, this poor choice continued, yet thankfully, disappeared after 1986.
Yet, Paul decided to continue looking his age during the time "Press To Play"(1986) was released in late summer. "Press" is a wonderful video, but I see that his style of tucked in, puffed out trousers and shirt combo prevailed(noooo!). Also, as seen on the "Only Love Remains" single, Phil Collins was probably recording his parts in the studio for "Press To Play" around this time too.
        More proof from my 45s collection that I am not making this look up...

When I said I didn't want to continue to see the "Frumpy" look and act during the rest of Prince's Trust(despite owning the full show LP), I know that some people could argue "It's never going to be as good as the original- accept that!" I fully accept it, but I don't have to expose myself to this, knowing that Paul redeemed this one appearance on many occasions since. But, I have watched something I cannot "unwatch", a tired and dull live version of a classic song. I'm very happy living in the "60s" with "Get Back" and "Long Tall Sally" being perfect.

"Long Tall Frumpy Paul" can definately stay back in 1986...Frumpy Short Phil Collins? Man, we missed you, welcome back! (Please Note: This blog entry was to point out a faux pas in Paul's solo career about 30 years ago, donate to any of those worthy causes like "The Prince's Trust" which managed to last longer than his unflattering trendy 80s look.Princes-Trust.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment