Friday, September 18, 2015

ES-Say #39 The Beatles "1", for the third time, in Stereo?!?

November 6th 2015 will see the third remaster released of The Beatles  "1" (previously remastered song compilation releases in 2000 and 2011). The new material along this new release will feature each #1 charting songs' video. This new video collection is highly sought after for an official dvd\blu ray version. I'm not going to discuss these videos seeing the fresh light of day for the mass public. I feel the need(uh, the need for speed? Never mind), to discuss the fact that the new CD release for "1" has to be released three times in fifteen years.

The question is "Why"? I bought the first issue of "1" in 2000. It seems that I have taken poor care of this album. It is without a jewel case or booklet. I also suspect I left it face down on the floor rather than in a CD Wallet('member those). The bottom of the disc has some obvious scratches yet miraculously plays fine.
Luckily, listening without a booklet, I still know what each of the 27 #1s tracks are by listening. I'm playing "We Can Work It Out" from this disc, right now. I just can't understand why the production team behind this release can't "work it out" and release a suitable version. If two versions of the same CD weren't good enough, why a third?!?

Complaints from the public, apparently, about the sound quality. I'm so confused concerning the issues presented between Mono and Stereo versions, and remastering technology that I'm beyond the point of caring. These differences of sound production are important, but all I can complain about is some faint buzzing coming from the 2000 1st pressing. I could be imaging this, but I'm playing my CD on a blu-ray player and none of my mobile phones are currently vibrating as much as half these tunes are. While, I skip "All You Need Is Love" (sorry, not a big fan of this song) for "Hello Goodbye", I reflect on simpler times.

Yes, simpler times, when my Beatles collection was so rudimentary, I could fling Beatles CDs around the house without much worry. "The Beatles 1" in 2000? Whatever! I heard most of these songs regularly on the radio and there were other available CD collections, like Beatles "Red" and "Blue"(officially, 1962-1966 and 1967-1970, respectively). I don't recall ANY complaints about these two collections or even a bad word about "Past Masters volume 1 & 2". If these song versions were inferior, nobody was the wiser, until the digitally-remastered-version-for-your-pleasure popularity for CDs came about as a mandatory necessity. 

I recently found out that most or all Beatles 45 singles were originally released in Mono and the LPs had all Stereo versions. My attempts to distinguish the differences between Mono and Stereo have been mostly sided for Mono. Basically, I like the straight forward listening of Mono recording from the 60s rather than having to focus on "additional" flourishes of specific voice and instruments more detectable in Stereo recordings. In fact, if I was able to save up money, I'd easily buy "The Beatles In Mono" CD Box Set. My appreciation for Mono is partially because I nearly lost my temper listening to the heavily orchestral arrangement in Stereo for "Eleanor Rigby." All this insistence to make The Beatles sound "richer" in surround sound Stereo is lost on me, partially, because with all our "second rate" listening material prior to the year 2000.


Now, since "1" is being released again for the third time, I thought it would be good to replace my copy which I fear might break my blu-ray player any minute. Somehow, I missed the second 2011 release but it has obviously demanded another remaster from Giles Martin(George's Son,). I'm OK with the project being overtaken by the younger Martin, but I'm sure I heard that the whole album will be in Stereo, rather than this half Mono-half Stereo version I own. It's enough to tear your flip your Beatles wig. 

Sure, I went and pre-ordered the new version mostly for its videos selling point- they are going to clean up some of those videos needing to be "restored" in 2015. I'm just a bit not liking the warts-and-all of The Beatles original material being re-imagined(Ed Note: Lennon-pun, Guilty!) for a modern audience. 

Get Back, Jo Jo!

Meredith Evonne should be heard on Calico Skies Radio this week for Episode P96. Holla! (More info to relisten next week, but it's today live at 8pm EST on Wanradio from Argentina and maybe on Periscope!)


1 comment:

  1. The new 1 is not a remaster. It's a full remix. And the DVD/Blu-Ray will also be 5.1.

    ReplyDelete