Thursday, August 6, 2015

ES-Say #29 My somewhat hatred of "New" Beatles Merchandise.

Collecting Beatles and\or McCartney branded goods(or merchandise) is a wonderful hobby but it's important to focus on a particular medium(for example-vinyl, books, clothing). Fans may choose to collect everything. However, I find collecting without a preference to be both tedious and difficult to maintain. I personally don't want to add more categories to the categories I am currently maintaining.
When I look to add to my collection, I have avoided looking at "new official Beatles goods" in the past. I define these new goods as valueless due to being mass produced by Apple corps within the last ten years. Overpriced and designed to be attractive to a new audience, it really doesn't interest me. Or it didn't really make a ripple in my collection until I realised I actually have a "new goods collection".
There needs to be some clarification- new goods have been produced since The Beatles broke up in 1970. I can't refer to goods from the 70s-90s as "new", because a significant amount of time has past. My opinion is that anything produced in the last decade is categorise as "new" and prior items are collectable with some reseverations to its rarity and value.
The worn 1995 T-shirt I have could be a collectable but the condition is poor and would not make much of a profit. I'm not necessarily looking to sell newer merchandise, but recently, I have been collecting a few goods that could possibly (fingers crossed) be sold in 10-20 years time.
The reason I broke my initial disinterest in valueless new goods, was because I started to see things that seemed collectable or stuff that I wanted to use without caring about what happens to it. Last year, I bought two of the same coffee cups with the "Live from the BBC volume 2" logo. I will continue to buy the new goods for new cd releases because some of the Promo merchandise produced around the time for Anthology(mid 1990s) seems to have been gaining both interest and value.
Recently, I found espresso mugs and chose the "Hard Days Night" design. Produced in 2014, they are wildly available, but I have no interest in the Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper designs. I have some sort of reasoning that the wildly popular designs of the aforementioned are so common, it will saturate the market and never gain the value a lesser common design will gain. Call it what you want, but with my interest to less common new goods, at the very least becomes a talking point based around limited edition productions(hopefully).
In the video above, I have filmed some of these "new" Beatles goods that for whatever reason, I haven't been able to pass up. The blue travel mug is a good example of a valueless but attractive purchase as I had to find it on eBay and couldn't find it in the shops due to a couple of the several designs being widely sold and re-ordered with no intention of stocking any more designs. I guess this means if I feel something is truely "limited edition" I want to have it. The other examples in the video for whatever reason peaked my interest. Previously, I felt all the modern goods were a waste of time because the Beatles broke up 45 years ago. Now, I'm not so convinced. This does not include "new" Paul McCartney goods, because he's still producing new material. (Many of these new goods from tours and cds are limited and demand higher prices). But, when it comes to new Beatle goods alot of it is rather, well, a gamble...
Please note: Loyal Facebook group members of this blog are treated to additional content. You are welcome to join by sending your Facebook profile link to me in the "post a comment section" (total comments to date-zero) to be added to the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment